Reaching Goals

I've always loved the saying, "if your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough." I believe this to be very true in life, whether it comes to employment, relationships, fitness, travel.. Anything. For me setting goals is highly important and something review and revise frequently. I wrote a post on it here!
For months now, I've had a goal which was pretty big to me.. To run 10km in under an hour. Now, to many experienced runners, this may seem like such a simple thing, or like just another slow run. For me however.. This is something I have been working my ass off towards for almost an entire year.
Attempt after frustrating attempt, I would make it so close, but just not make it in time. I have been floating around 1:04 for quite a while now.

Tonight, I was due for my 12.9km run for training. I figured this was a perfect time to attempt my goal again. Why not? The weather was great (it had just stopped snowing, yay Nova Scotia sporadic weather!), I felt great (my nutrition has been on point all week), and I was determined.

The first 3km I flew through with an average pace of 5'40" a kilometre. I knew if I maintained this pace I would be in the clear for my goal. The problem, however was maintaining this pace.
My average pace normally floats between 6-6'50" a km, so I was getting concerned that I would burn out my energy. 5km.. Half way in. I reached this at exactly 29:50. Knowing I had to do that distance all over again at the same pace, or faster, made me really start to worry and push it.
The seconds were getting closer with each kilometre! My body was aching, eyes watering from the cold wind and blisters throbbing still.

I finished with a time of exactly 59:00.


I can't even describe what an amazing feeling it was, reaching 10km and realizing after all of those failed attempts, and months of hard work, it finally happened.. I finally did it.
I may have done a couple (hundred) celebratory jumps in the air.. 

I know my goals may seem small to others, but they're big to me and finally achieving this felt like a huge accomplishment! Sure, most people can probably do the same run in way less time, but this shows huge improvement and is the reason I set these goals in the first place.
For now, I'm going to review my goals and make them even bigger.

Aim for the moon, that way if you fall, at least you'll land in the stars.
Keep reaching those goals friends,
The Rural Runner
NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment