This weeks training

Hello friends,
As you all know I've been training for my up coming ultra the end of July!
The race is fast approaching, and I'm doing what I can to prepare myself for what is sure to be a difficult 12 ish hours on top of a deathly mountain. No big deal right..?
My training this week included 1 long run, a speed workout, and a few average distance runs. I mixed in some biking as well.

Monday:
21.1km we decided to run this one straight up the mountain to the look off, across, then back down the mountain. The view was absolutely worth the climb!

Half way through I got a little tired and needed to take a break...

Running downhill is actually way harder than you would expect.
After completing the Cabot Trail Relay, which includes some serious up AND down hills, we have realized that downhill running is something we actually need to practice more often. Were always so concerned about the uphills and being able to maintain a decent pace while climbing, however, running back down is often overlooked. Downhill running can be a great time to gain time and cover a lot of ground fast, however it can also cause quadriceps exhaustion, shin splints and even injury if not done right. Theres an interesting article I found on running competitor here, for anyone interested in more information.

Tuesday:
(Rest day) but I was hugely motivated to run for some reason, so... 3.2 what was intended as a short stretch out run after our half the day before, turned into a very fast run with Kirk. Felt good to get the legs moving for a short distance though.

Wednesday:
Today was scheduled for a 9.7 km run. However, I only ran 7km.. which I told myself was okay cause I ran when I wasn't supposed to yesterday.. and it was crazy hot out. Almost like running in a humid sauna.


Thursday:
Cross training. Biking is my favourite form of cross training! I feel so free and happy when I'm on a bike. I like to bike to work when the weathers nice. Or to the market with a backpack for a short local ride.
Friday:
Scheduled for 8.05km. Lets honestly hope I have the energy for that after work. 

Saturday & Sunday:
I am scheduled for a 25.75 km run after work Saturday, however there is absolutely no way I will be completing that long of a run after working over 12 hours, plus long training runs like this require planning and preparation before hand. So instead, I'm having rest day Saturday and the long run on Sunday before I lay down to sleep for my night shift. Its hard following a training schedule when you work such long hours and are on your feet all day!
Training goes on though.

Hope everyone's training is going well!
Happy trails!
The Rural Runner

NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment