Whats in my fridge?

Recently I've been hearing a lot of the typical talk "its too expensive to eat healthy" and in the interest of proving this huge myth wrong, I have decided to share with you all whats in my fridge!
I shop for the most part at a local farmers market just a kilometre down the road.

*Side note: I once read a quote that seriously resonated with me: "if you stop spending money at a supermarket they wouldn't even notice you were gone, but if you spent a fraction of that money at a farmers market, you would help a local farmer pay rent, you might even save his farm."

This is where I get all of my main foods such as fresh veggies and fruit, eggs, juice, etc.
Anything else (almond milk or pasta) thats unavailable at the market, I will purchase at a grocery store (much less frequently). Doing so, I spend less than $50 a week on groceries for 2 people (and my boyfriend is a 6'4 long distance runner that also loves to eat).

So without further ado.. Whats in my fridge?!
Top shelf:
- Almond milk - for smoothies, oatmeal, tea, etc.
- Orange juice - always have some of this around for my morning smoothie
- Jugs of water - I'm lucky enough to live in a place where my water is from a well and is clean and fluoride free! We save and reuse these 4L jugs to drink fresh cold water that we took straight from the tap.
- Spinach salad (in tupperware for work)
- Pasta - my fave is gnocchi (potato/pasta flour deliciousness), or spinach tortellini for a quick dinner
Middle shelf:
- Local eggs in the drawer
- Hummus and lots of it
- Greek yogurt - here I have plain greek for smoothies, honey greek for fruit parfaits, and some greek coconut chobani that I found for 50% off and couldn't pass up!
- Cottage cheese - I only buy this every once in a while because it can be expensive similar to the majority of dairy products (and meat - another reason to give it up!)
- Blueberries/strawberries - fresh local fruit isn't quite in season yet, but Im looking forward to summer for lower prices and more options (peaches especially!). I use these in yogurt parfaits, smoothies, or just eat them, duh.
- Spinach
Bottom shelf:
- Squash - spaghetti is my favourite, followed closely by butternut and acorn. Theres so many great meal options with this vegetable and they're super cheap when bought local in season (bonus: they last FOREVER in the fridge)
- Carrots/celery - separated into ziplock baggies for work convenience (I take a bag of veggies with some hummus)
- Salad kits - most of the time I will buy local kale and spinach to create my own salads, however the grocery store had these 50% off as well (I'm frugal).. and I knew I was up to the challenge of eating them before they expired ;)
Drawers:
- Apples! Living in the Valley, were famous for our Apple... in fact we even have a festival celebrating them. I love apples and always have some (fave are granny smith) in the fridge for dipping in peanut/almond butter as a healthy afternoon snack
- Onions/garlic - basic staple for cooking
- Asparagus - a household fave here
- Cucumber - again.. great with hummus, or by itself

Thats a lot of food, for not a lot of money. You would be surprised how far your dollar will go when its spent on nutritious, whole foods.
Whats in your fridge?
The Rural Runner

NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment