Long Run Essentials

Long training runs are quite different from races. You're (generally) alone, no aid stations, no ports-potties, etc. This can be dangerous if your route is on a trail in the middle of the woods, or if you're like me and live in the middle of nowheres.
25 km run, gotta be prepared!

So... I've compiled a list of my go to items to bring on a long run. These are basically personal preference/some are common sense, but its what I typically bring with me on runs of 15+ km in distance.

1. Camelbak
Like I said, theres no aid stations waiting for you when you're doing your own personal long run. Its so important to keep hydrated, especially on longer runs. I use a Camelbak Sno Angel. Its insulated (must have for Canadian running!), its light enough for me, holds ~2L, its feminine, and its got zippered pockets for all of the rest of my long run necessities. 

2. Cellphone
I know its a pain in the butt to carry around, but if I get lost theres a GPS, or a way to call home if needed. PS.. ALWAYS tell someone where you're going and estimated how long you'll be gone.. SAFETY FIRST.
Also, sometimes pumping some jams is just what you need to get through a tough part of your workout! Power songs can be your best friend and motivator on a long lonely run ;)
Heres a couple of my current running jams

3. GPS watch
I wear my Garmin 610 on every run for a couple reasons. I like knowing the time without having to get my phone out of my Camelbak/pocket and I like seeing my elevation/pace/distance/route stats.  
PS - Make sure your garmin is charged before you start running.. OPPS.

4. Blistex
This stuff comes everywhere with me. I may or may not have an addiction.. but its okay because at least my lips arent chapped. Nothing ruins a long run like having burning, cracked and dry lips the entire time. And I am totally one of those people who would constantly be licking my lips, even though I know it makes it worse haha.
But my lips hurt real bad.. UGH.

5. Kleenex
Again.. theres probably no porta-potties hanging around in the back woods.
Also necessary for runny noses.. unless you rub it on your sleeve.. or arent Canadian and running in -15 degree weather..

6. Gels/bloks/fuel
Our bodies are like cars, we require fuel to turn into energy to keep going. If I'm doing any run more than an hour I like to have a package of Gu or shot bloks. I know my body, and I know that this is where I will hit my wall if I don't have some form of carb/fuel.

7. A positive attitude
Long runs not only test you physically.. but they have a huge impact on our mental capacity to handle tough situations. Yes its hard running 20+km all at once, but can you do it? OF COURSE YOU CAN!

Now get out there and enjoy those long training runs!
Happy trails,
The Rural Runner






NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment