The Injured Runner

We've all been there.. Thinking we could run for thousands of kilometres without a single scrape. Some of us are lucky and never have to deal with it.. And for others.. Well, shit happens. Injuries happen. The running blues happen. It seems like whenever you're not able to run, that's when it's the nicest days out or when you see everyone else out there doing what you wish you could. Not being able to run because of injury sucks. I had to put off training for my first half marathon because of a stress fracture. That injury set me back 6 whole weeks of training... That's right, 6 VERY LONG weeks of rest. I was in denial, I had been working so hard to be prepared that I was so devastated and I almost bailed on the race. The self doubt set in.. "I'll never be ready to run in time" and  "this injury will never heal and I'll lose my ability to run forever!" I know, dramatic right?! I got to the point where I would try to go for a run due to fear of losing my endurance, and just end up exacerbating the injury.

Point is, no one plans to get hurt, but sometimes you've just gotta face the facts and let your body heal to prevent further damage. Let's face it, not every injury is preventable.. But here's some tips to make it much less likely:

1. Take rest days!
I cannot stress this enough. Rest is so important when you're training. If you over exert yourself and try to run everyday, your muscles will not have the time required to recover. They need break periods to grow stronger and that's not possible if they're constantly being overused. Your body will be exhausted and will literally gain nothing from it. Your muscles won't be able to adapt to the stress being put on them and you will more than likely develop microscopic tears and inflammation in your muscles and joints (swelling, pain and redness). Basically.. Overuse = injury!
I know rest days suck, but they're absolutely necessary. Find something fun to do to instead, sightsee, spend time with loved ones, go for a walk.. Just take er easy bud.
This is how rest days are done! #likeaboss

2. Stretch those muscles
Something I advocate for but honestly don't do enough of. I love yoga and it's great for flexibility and muscle improvements, but it's important to stretch before and after exercise as well. Getting ready to go out for a run? Throw some quick lunges, squats, arm circles, etc into the mix. Static stretching is great before a long run because not only will it warm you up, but it'll prepare your body for the work it's about to perform.
Next, just as important and frequently overlooked, do some post workout stretching. Sometimes nothing feels better than stretching out tight muscles after a run. I'm talking holding those stretched for a good 15-20 seconds each. Take some deep breaths, calm the body and let the blood flow. You don't have to be super flexible to stretch, just do it and prevent some injuries and post run soreness.

3. Foam roll
I have a theory that foam rolling is the devil in the form of an oversized hardened pool noodle lookin thing. Yeah, it's a love hate relationship. Foam rolling hurts so good. Do it and you'll understand.. Better yet get your significant other to do it for you, not only will your leggies feel better after, but they'll probably get some enjoyment out of making you squirm.
I know for a fact this is my older sisters favorite pastime. "Stop wiggling and embrace the pain!!" #sisterlylove

4. Yoga
Not only will yoga improve your strength and flexibility, but there's hundreds of benefits. It's so peaceful and relaxing and can help with a wide range of problems such as stress, back pain, headaches, digestion, etc. If you don't know where to start, there's TONS of videos on YouTube. Or grab a friend and hit up a beginner class. Your joints and muscles will love you for it!

Happy to be a self taught yogi (Yoga classes don't work for me, something about being too disruptive, pfft.)

5. Injured already? Don't push it.
This one is a tough lesson for me. I knew stress fractures require at least 6 weeks to heal. It wasn't bothering me after 3.. Silly me thinking I was "magically" healed, went for a run and made it worse. The pain came back almost 2 fold, and prolonged me healing process. It sucks, be patient. I learned that I would rather wait 6 weeks than push it and end up injuring myself more.
Have an injury but are able to keep exercising? Be smart, take the necessary precautions to prevent further damage. Rock tape can be your best friend for pulled/tight/sore muscles. Seriously, I love that stuff. Increases oxygenation and improves mobility of joints and muscle. This tape has held me together for many runs.

There's plenty more ways to prevent injuries that I didn't list, hopefully common sense, eat well, STAY HYDRATED!, stay well rested (6-8hr a night) and keep a clear head (stress=sickness).
Bad luck can cause injuries but stay active to prevent what you can.

Safe running friends,
The Rural Runner


NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment