Half Marathon Training Plan - Week 1

After officially deciding to run the hypothermic half marathon coming up in January, I realized it was probably in my best interest to start a training plan, instead of just winging it. Normally I don't have a plan for my runs until like an hour before when I say to myself something along the lines of "hmm I think I'll run 8km today!" As some people always say "failure to plan, is planning to fail." Or something like that? Basically I needed some help in the run schedule department..
I have a goal of a sub 2 hour half marathon on my mind and would love to accomplish that. Therefore, I started looking into possible training plans. I recently learned that Nike plus has a coach option (I wonder if I even live on this planet sometimes haha). I figured this was pretty convenient since I already use the app to track my runs.. So I might as well have the same app tell me how far and how fast to go. I entered in my race details, estimated my current fitness level (intermediate) and just like that had an entire 12 week training schedule made and customized for me. Nike plus is a great app for keeping track of runs, PRs and even challenging friends (add me - MisLyns)!
The plan increases in intensity each week, up until the peak week of training. There is often a cross training day on Thursdays and includes a rest day on Sunday's. Cross training days are great to improve endurance and maintain fitness, all while helping to decrease risk of injury (weight and resistance training is perfect for this too). Some days are easy runs where as the next day is commonly an interval run or fartlek (frequent variation in pace, today mine was 3 minutes faster pace followed by a 2 minutes slower pace). Fartlek training can help with conditioning, and I find it makes my runs go by faster.
The distance of the runs vary from 1 shorter run (around 4-6km), mixed in with a couple medium runs (8-12) and one long run a week on Saturday (16+km). Each week the distances increase, averaging 50-60km total every week.
Monday was week 1, day 1 with an easy 4.8km run. Great start to get the legs stretched out and ready for today's fartlek. Today was an 8.05 km interval run. It took me 50 minutes for the full run, warm up and cool down (I'm not the fastest, but this program will help to increase my speed). Day 2 of the training plan went well and felt good.
Tomorrows run will be the same distance, except an easy pace, so I'm going to change up my route to keep things interesting. Thursday is cross training, and I plan to do an upper body day with the weights in my basement (I haven't really lifted since my bodybuilding days.. So this should be interesting). Friday is a 6.4 km run, easy pace for 4.8km, followed by a faster final 1.6k. Saturday is my first long run of the training plan, and will be 12.9km. I'm looking forward to this comfortable paced long run. Adding distance is important to build up to that final 21.1 km half marathon that's my goal, so hopefully I can complete this run with a similar pace that I'm hoping for on race day. Should be a great Halloween run! Sunday will be my first rest day, and I'm sure it will be well earned.
After the day off, week 2 starts with another 8.05 km run of easy 4.8km and finish with the last 3.2km at a faster pace. 
I'll be posting updates every week as I continue with this program.
How's your training going? Do you prefer the longer easy pace runs, or shorter interval training runs?Are there any races you're working towards? Let me know!
Keep training friends,
The Rural Runner
NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment